2012-10-01

Doggie postcard

It's a rarely seen thing here - more dogs than cats!

Some time ago I've been asked to create a super cute illustration with plenty of animals for a postcard for District Dog, a pet shop in Brooklyn, NY. I liked the idea and I fell in love with the overall look of the shop - it's so much different from those I see here in Poland.

But let's get back to the illustration! Here's a bit of the process :)


 I've started with finding my way in drawing animals that were supposed to be on the postcard. I have never drew a parrot so it took me a while to 'feel' it. But I skipped the cat and bunny process - I draw them a lot and didn't really want to make them look different than they usually do. They look just fine as they are :)

 Then it was time for few sketches of the composition. I start with the tiny thumbs, then make a bit bigger ones where you can actually see what's there.

 Then I re-make them to look clean and pretty, for everyone to see and understand what I mean. Green and orange areas are the places when text can be put.

 Transferring the sketch.

 Artistic mess :)

 And the finished picture. I like it a lot :) And this paper is superb - so thick!




 And here you can see a colour composition I've made and the final image. I've made only few minor changes along the way (blanket on the left has got a bit different pattern, there is an additional tea cup, a tea towel hanging on a handle is green, not blue). I usually make changes while painting and add details without further consideration :) It's just how I like to do it.



And here's the actual postcard that you can get at the District Dog :)

Super cute, isn't it?

 Hope you like it ^^

A.

12 comments:

  1. It's really lovely and I wouldn't call that a mess! It looks pretty neat to me! :)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) A bit of mess is necessary to feel free and just go wild with ideas, paints and pencils ;)

      Delete
  2. Puuuu I love this :D!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, Adelaida..the art and the process you have shared with us! Wish more artists and designers would share their work this way, it's better than attending art school:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I always liked to watch how others do their work so it was natural for me to share it too. I'm glad you find it helpful and interesting ^^

      Delete
  4. Adelaida, we are delighted with the end results. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful to see all the process! And the illustration is sooo cute!!
    I loved the paper too :) ¿Which paper is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it :)
      This paper is dedicated to oils and acrylics and it's something about 400g/m. So you can just ask for a paper for acrylics and oils (but don't mention you'll use it to paint with watercolours! In the art shop where I buy it, clerk always gets nervous when I say 'that thick paper for watercolours' :P)

      Delete

spread the love