Here are few photos and sketches I've made on the way:
A quick first sketch just to catch the first impression while reading a text (because this illustration is based on the text).
After that I've made a more accurate character designs. I know that for some those still are sketchy sketches but for me it's enough to remember and be sure how a character looks ;)
Then I remade sketches and compositions of the scenes. (There are two different illustrations - I'll start making the second one tomorrow)
Fixed and cleaned sketches with a bit more details.
And the same sketches with base colours just to give this overall feeling.
Then the idea changed a bit - I had to make the illustration longer so it would fit into a 2 page spread in a square book.
This is what I've printed out to trace lines on a paper where final image will be made. I use my enormous light table Aurora for tracing.
Few photos of the progress.
And here are close-ups of the finished image. I really like how the water came out :)
A lot of flowers :)
This is really nice paper for coloured pencils. I don't like it for watercolours (although they are its supposed destination medium) but this way of using it seems great :)
And the final image! This is a scanned version (have to scan it in 4 parts). This picture looks a lot better when viewed live or on photos but it's too hard to take a nice photo of such a big illustration with my amateur camera...
Hope you like my new illustration as much as I do :)